Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting /var/lib/pgsql ? Is it enough ?

From: "Dario" <dario_d_s(at)unitech(dot)com(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting /var/lib/pgsql ? Is it enough ?
Date: 2005-10-19 16:22:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

The new version will update your postgresql packages. It shouldn't wipe your data files, since /etc/init.d/postgresql script checks if there are data in the specified directory. Then you must erase those postgresql (rpm -qa|grep postgres will list packages installed), and install yours.

But, if new subversion is the same (example 7._4_.8 and 7._4_.9 but it's and unchecked and probably not real example), the script could run and the engine will run (it won't delete your files).

I would perform a backup anyway.