Re: ViewDesigner Code

From: "Mark A(dot) Taff" <mark(at)libertycreek(dot)net>
To: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ViewDesigner Code
Date: 2002-03-07 09:10:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: pgadmin-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org]On Behalf Of Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 2:08 PM
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-hackers] ViewDesigner Code

Mark,

Thanks, got the code and installed it. Am i right in thinking you have not
doen any work yet to draw objects in the top pane for the
tables/relationship lines?

I did throw a copy of the control I was working on into the top pane just to
see if I was on the right track. It seemed like it would work, so I took it
out for the time being until the control is finished.

I saw a lot of stub procedures for many operations all which launch a new
window - I guess you cut/paste a lot of code, huh?
Yeah, I did, for devel purposes. I don't plan on keeping it that way. The
plan is to have each View Designer window self-sufficient until the user is
ready to create the view, at which time the view definition would be sent to
the existing new view dialog box for naming and commenting, etc.

Any hints on getting anything work that DOES work so far? I managed to load
a .SQL file and see the coloured syntax SQL in pane 3 but nothing in panes
1,2,4 - is that right?
Correct, it doesn't actually do anything productive at this time, unless you
count loading and saving a .sql file productive. :)

Great to have something already started on this feature, as it will give us
all a chance to get places. I can forsee needing a CVS facility for it
sooner rather than later. Do you anticipate seeing it as a add-in module a
la Excel exporter etc. In this case it would fit very nicely into the
plugins folder on the existing CVS.
No, I think it would be better as a menu option/icon, just like the `execute
arbitrary sql` feature. The reason it is the way it is now is the plugins
in the version I have right now are broken, and won't load right.

Dave, who do you deal with to get the pgadmin CVS facility arranged with to
see about the idea of partial upload facility for Mark & I?? Exchanging
Zips of code with instructions to merge in is barmy when CVS exists and is
already used for this project? Alternatively, Mark, could we get a slot on
Sourceforge/OSDN in the short term?
I don't see why we couldn't get a spot at SF, if it is not possible or
practical to use the existing CVS.
Regards,
Mark

Tim Finch,