Re: advice on raid controller

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: "Palle Girgensohn" <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>, <rj(at)last(dot)fm>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: advice on raid controller
Date: 2003-09-29 21:41:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

Not in general. Besides, with a write-back cache an fsync() is very nearly
'free', as the controller will report the write as completed as soon as it's
written to cache.

I keep meaning to benchmark the difference, but I only have the facility on
a production box, so caution gets the better of me every time :-)

AFAIK the fsync calls are used to guarantee the _ordering_ of writes to
permanent storage (i.e. fsync() is called before doing something, rather
than after doing something. So PG can be sure that before it does B, A has
definitely been written to disk).

But I could well be wrong. And there could well be strategies exploitable
with the knowledge that a write-back cache exists that aren't currently
implemented - though intuitively I doubt it.