Fwd: Re: PSQL, Mosix is unuseful

From: "valter m" <maweb(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: Re: PSQL, Mosix is unuseful
Date: 2000-11-01 15:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello everyone,

no hope to use PostgreSQL + Mosix, because PostgreSQL uses shared memory, as
such it's not suitable for migration.

Mosix isn't able now to give us a single system image, where a cluster of
machine acts as a single transparent machine.

I'm trying DIPC+GFS to do this, i've patched the 2.2.17 linux kernel with
DIPC , changed PostgreSQL sources to create distributed shared memory and
semaphores (postgres uses only sem and shm), next steps are to try to
start-up (the changed) postgres to use this  distibuted ipc and a central
location for datafiles (GFS , NFS?, or a thing that permits a shared fs with
flock and fcntl) , then do a simple connect script that , for example , do a
round-robin connection to the different postgresql servers on the machineS.

DIPC has not a failover mechanism now.

Ideas?

bye
valter