Feature request - pg_dump - -W specify pwd in command line

From: "Carl Holliday" <skysnake(at)wonderland(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Feature request - pg_dump - -W specify pwd in command line
Date: 2010-09-23 15:50:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Afternoon

the 8.4 pg_dump seems to work fine and as documented.

I need to be able to put pwds in the command line to facilitate
non-supervised backups etc

I tried the following command line but, understandably, it refuses to
cooperate:

pg_dump.exe -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -W tstpwd1 -t TRAN -t CLIENT -t
?CAS -F custom -b -Z 9 -f "C:\data\fidTcarl.sqlnative" fid2

-W tstpwd1

-W forces a password prompt, if I insert my 'test password' into the
commandline instruction, it just terminates with a

pg_dump: too many command-line arguments (first is "-t") blah

is there another way to insert the pwd into the command line interface,
please?

Carl

Carl Holliday
t 012 342 3096