Re: Postgres & large tables on average machine

From: "Fred Moyer" <fred(at)digicamp(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Nicholay P(dot) Chuprynin" <kolyan(at)infoport(dot)uz>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres & large tables on average machine
Date: 2002-03-30 00:58:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Your UDMA 33 bus will limit disk reads to 33 Mbytes/sec so there is your
first bottleneck. Get a 66 mhz PCI ide adapter (Promise is cheap) and that
will increase your disk speed dramatically.
Also you won't be able to do much with 128 Mb of ram, put in as much as you
can. That box is likely 66 mhz front side bus so that will be a bottleneck
once you max out the ram.

If you are planning on that table growing you will need a bigger box with
scsi/raid and lots of ram. Biggest factor when the table gets above the
available ram though is how fast you can pipe data though the processor from
the disk. Get something like a dual athlon motherboard that is a big front
side bus and use a 64 bit, 66 mhz scsi raid controller.

On the other hand, if you don't want to go big then at least get an PCI IDE
controller and put another 384M ram in - it will make a big difference.
Don't forget to (man) hdparm to maximize your I/O.