Re: JDBC bug?

From: "Colin Freas" <cef6(at)georgetown(dot)edu>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Nate Gelbard" <gelbardn(at)tripwire(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC bug?
Date: 2001-11-26 19:10:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've found an annoyance with the postgresql JDBC driver (from the 7.1.3
>> release).
>>
>> Pardon if this has been asked before, but the web archives are offline...
>>
>> In org/postgresql/jdbc2/DatabaseMetaData.java, there are several lines
>> that call toLowerCase() on the table string names. This causes 'table
>> unknown' erros when accessing tables with mixed case in the name. This
>> popped out at me when trying to use the XML-DBMS package and also
>> DbVisualizer.
>>
>> So does postgres not support mixed case in table names, or the backend
>> does but the clients dont, or what?
>
>Well, we support mixed case identifiers, but they need to be
>double-quoted, as you saw. The \d behavior looks correct. The jdbc
>issue looks more complicated because we are forcing lowercase in the
>jdbc code. Perhaps some jdbc folks can comment on that.

I think Nate's being kind calling this an annoyance. I may have missed
something in the docs, but I just spent a few frustrating hours confronting
a similar issue with tables of mixed case. Everything was working correctly
with my servlet, except when I referenced a column with a name like
questionID in a where clause. Note the casing. I had no idea this is what
was wrong until, other ideas exhausted, I recreated my query text with
pgadmin's query wizard and it put quotes around everything in the SQL it
generated.

Is there a pqsql-jdbc log somewhere that this might have shown up? I was so
sure it was my java code (which in the end it was, sort of :) I never
bothered to check any Postgres logs. Would it have shown up somewhere
there? Either way, personally, I think this isn't the best behavior. I
don't want to get into a casing flame war, but, I would've expected an
exception if it couldn't figure out what was happening with the where
clause, something at least.

Colin Freas