Re: Query Performance and IOWait

From: "Woody Woodring" <george(dot)woodring(at)iglass(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query Performance and IOWait
Date: 2004-11-18 19:04:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

From our experience it is not just a postgres issue, but all IO with the
Update 3 kernel.

We have a box with Update 3 that queries a remote postgres database(Running
RH7.3, RH3 Update2) and writes to a file on an NFS server. The update 3
box does half the work with 2-3 times the load as our update 1 and 2 boxes.
Looking at top the box is always above 90% IO Wait on the CPU. When we
downgrade the kernel to Update 2 it seems to fix the issue.

We several Update 3 boxes that run postgres locally and they all struggle
compared to the Update 2 boxes

We have tried the Fedora Core 3 with not much more success and we are going
to try the Update 4 beta kernel next week to see if it is any better.

There are several threads on the Taroon mailing list discussing the issue.

Woody