Re: Query slower on 8.0.3 (Windows) vs 7.3 (cygwin)

From: "Gurpreet Aulakh" <gaulakh(at)ecmarket(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query slower on 8.0.3 (Windows) vs 7.3 (cygwin)
Date: 2005-09-22 18:54:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

Here is the information that you requested.

The sub query that I am using is

EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT doc.doc_documentid FROM document AS doc
LEFT JOIN document as root
ON doc.doc_internalRootXref = root.doc_documentId
LEFT JOIN folder_document ON doc.doc_documentid =
folder_document.doc_documentId
LIMIT 500 OFFSET 0

The column doc_documentid is character varying(48) on both tables (document,
folder_document).
The column doc_internalRootXref is also character varying(48)
doc_documentid and doc_internalRootXref are UUIDs that is 36 chars long.

The document table has 58 columns.
31 columns are varchar ranging from size 8 to 80
7 booleans
4 numeric(12,2)
8 timestamp with time zone
1 integer
1 bigint
5 text

The folder_documen table has 6 columns
4 varchar (2 of length 16 2 of length 48)

The following indexes are on the document table
pk_document primary key btree (doc_documentid),
document_pk unique btree (doc_documentid),
doc_deliverydate_index btree (doc_deliverydate),
doc_externalxref_index btree (doc_externalxref),
doc_internalparentomxref_index btree (doc_internalparentomxref),
doc_internalrootxref_index btree (doc_internalrootxref)
The following indexes are on the folder_document table
pk_folder_document primary key btree (doc_documentid)
fk_folder_document1 FOREIGN KEY (fld_folderid) REFERENCES
folder(fld_folderid)
ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE CASCADE,
fk_folder_document2 FOREIGN KEY (doc_documentid) REFERENCES
document(doc_documentid)
ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE CASCADE

After reading your hint about locale settings, I reinstalled postgres and
made sure the locale was set
to C and that the encoding was SQL_ASCII. (these are the settings on the
cygwin installation).

I still get the same results in the last post.