Help with pgsql / Access

From: "Tyrone Omidi" <tyrone(at)sbsworldwide(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Help with pgsql / Access
Date: 2000-05-30 11:39:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

Looking for some basic info using Access as a front end to PostgreSQL.

I know nothing of SQL (but willing to learn) and a little experience of
Access, lots of Unix/Linux.
I have doadloaded and installed the odbc driver, unticked all the readonly
stuff. (I'm using postgres 7 with Access2000 )
I have setup a system DSN.  From within Linux I have created a user, a
database and made changes to the pg_hba.conf file.

My problem is I don't know how to connect Access to postgres now this is
setup.
I found some info as below.
Create a new Access file, select queries, click new, close show table dilog,
from query menu select SQL specific & pass-through.  Select odbc source and
click ok.  ( At this point all seems well and asks to save password )
I did try a few SQL commands in the passthrought box but it comes up with
"ODBC-call failed error creating the table ps(#17)

What I was thinking here was that I could create, change tables to store
data, it would save to postgres and using Access as a front end many people
could get access to it ??  Do I have the wrong end of the stick, is there
more to it.  Unfortunatly I can't find any basic info this.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

very newbie

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Kovacs Zoltan SandorDate: 2000-05-30 12:37:11