Re: My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: Performance P roblem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13))

From: "Andreas Kostyrka" <andreas(at)kostyrka(dot)org>
To: Bastian Voigt <post(at)bastian-voigt(dot)de>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: Performance P roblem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13))
Date: 2007-05-25 15:20:23
Lists: pgsql-performance
TOASTed means storage outside of the main table. But AFAIK, only rows bigger 2K are considered for toasting.

Andreas

-- Ursprüngl. Mitteil. --
Betreff:	Re: My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: [PERFORM] Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13))
Von:	Bastian Voigt <post(at)bastian-voigt(dot)de>
Datum:		25.05.2007 14:13

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Could you check the output of vacuum verbose on that table and see how
> much work it's doing? I'd have thought the actual bytea data would be
> TOASTed away to a separate table for storage, leaving the vacuum with
> very little work to do.
I'm quite new to postgres (actually I just ported our running
application from MySQL...), so I don't know what toast means. But I
noticed that vacuum also tried to cleanup some "toast" relations or so.
This was what took so long.

> It might well be your actual problem is your disk I/O is constantly
> saturated and the vacuum just pushes it over the edge. In which case
> you'll either need more/better disks or to find a quiet time once a
> day to vacuum and just do so then.
Yes, that was definitely the case. But now everything runs smoothly
again, so I don't think I need to buy new disks.

Regards
Bastian

--
Bastian Voigt