Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM

From: "Stephen" <jleelim(at)xxxxxxx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date: 2003-11-02 05:45:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
As it turns out. With vacuum_page_delay = 0, VACUUM took 1m20s (80s) to
complete, with vacuum_page_delay = 1 and vacuum_page_delay = 10, both
VACUUMs completed in 18m3s (1080 sec). A factor of 13 times! This is for a
single 350 MB table.

Apparently, it looks like the upcoming Linux kernel 2.6 will have a smaller

There is also mention of user-space tweak to get a more accurate time slice
of near 1ms on Linux, but I'm not sure how this works and if it applies to

Regards, Stephen