Re: Extending SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION

From: "Ezra Epstein" <eepstein(at)prajnait(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extending SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION
Date: 2004-01-28 22:27:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----

Since I still don't know what "GUC" even stands for, I'll just take the
entirely naive approach and assume it doesn't matter for these purposes.

> >> another, using it this way in a pooling environment would be completely
> >> insecure --- what if you forget to "log out", or your attempt to do so
> >> is dropped because it was inside a failed transaction block?
>
> > Well, consider the alternative. A web user logs in to the web
> app, not to
> > the DB. The web app connects to the DB as a user which has the
> union of ALL
> > privs of each of the web users! This is the default mode of
> ALL production
> > web apps. In other words, the alternative is an even bigger
> security hole
>
> No, the alternative is that the web app is responsible for managing
> security, which I think is the only reasonable place to put the
> responsibility if you intend to use shared connections. I find it

Yes and if you've already had the DBA configure the DB to have group-based
security at the rather fine level of granularity that SQL gives, why not
have a means of leveraging that -- and thereby simplifying the applications,
oh and getting security consistency across all such apps free of charge --
rather than replicate it all in a different tier?

> simply illusory to think that a shared-connection setup is going to be
> secure if you don't have complete confidence in the front end.
> Basically what you're saying is that you're willing to trust the front
> end to ensure that user A can never do anything over user B's
> connection, but you're not willing to trust it to enforce security
> otherwise. That doesn't seem to hold water to me.
>
> Another issue with a SET SESSION AUTH extension of this kind is that it
> would force every multi-user installation to maintain password security
> whether they want it or not. In an environment where users do not
> normally use database passwords (perhaps they use IDENT auth instead)
> it's entirely likely that they'd not bother to select good passwords or
> guard them. In that case the option to get into someone else's account
> via SET SESSION AUTH becomes a security hole that people are unlikely to
> think to plug --- the old "out of sight, out of mind" problem.

This last one is the only concern raised that I can see being one I'd worry
over. It makes me think that enabling the alternate mode of SET SESSION
AUTH could itself be subject to a DB parameter (settable at startup or via
the SET mechanism) and turned off by default.

== Ezra Epstein