RE: Automation/scheduling of Backup stratetgy

From: "Matthew H(dot) North" <ctsmhn(at)cts(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Automation/scheduling of Backup stratetgy
Date: 2000-10-19 18:40:23
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Let me clarify:

By 'hot backup' I mean some kind of method we can use to keep a live mirror
of a PostgreSQL database as it's being updated. As it is, the pg_dump
method has quite a large granularity - we currently have a cron job that
runs pg_dumpall once per day, in the early morning. This means that if we
had to revert to one of these daily backups, we have the potential of a
day's worth of lost data.... Not good.

We would like to be able to backup the database AS it's being worked on so
that if the primary db server drops dead, we have a backup that's pretty
much up-to-date as of the time of the crash.

Again, any word from the developers on when we might be able to expect this?

Matthew H. North
Software Engineer
CTSnet Internet Services
t (858) 637-3600