Database installation query (PostgreSQL 7.4)

From: "Saket Bagade" <sbagade(at)nulinkinc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database installation query (PostgreSQL 7.4)
Date: 2004-01-29 11:40:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

How can I install PostgreSQL 7.4 in a directory other than the --prefix
directory without having to recompile the code. Note that, I have to
make a tar file of the installable files and have to install it on
different machines (which may have different paths).

When I tried this on one of the machines, I got following error:

bash-2.03$ /export/home/postgres/bin/initdb -D
/export/home/postgres/data -L /export/home/postgres/share/postgresql
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /export/home/postgres/data... ok
creating directory /export/home/postgres/data/base... ok
creating directory /export/home/postgres/data/global... ok
creating directory /export/home/postgres/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /export/home/postgres/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /export/home/postgres/data/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ERROR: could not access file
"$libdir/ascii_and_mic": No such file or directory

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/export/home/postgres/data"

Can anyone help me out ?

Thanks,
Saket.