Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Oleg Bartunov'" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Pgsql Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow
Date: 2002-01-30 20:16:21
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

I have never benchmarked it, but I do run pg on Cygwin/Win2K/XP and
Slackware Linux 8 on the same laptop. PostgreSQL always *seems* slower under
Cygwin.

However, I know that one of the guys at Greatbridge did do some benchmarking
and as I recall reported getting comparable performance up to about 100
users.

It's possible that it's because you are running on Windows 98. For the 7.2
release we've done all regression testing on XP/2K - I suspect that Jason
only tested 7.1 on NT4 or 2K.

Regards, Dave.