Re: password encyption

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Peter E(dot) Chen'" <pchen3(at)jhmi(dot)edu>,Ivan Horvath <i(dot)horvath(at)alco(dot)co(dot)hu>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: password encyption
Date: 2002-03-13 20:56:44
Lists: pgadmin-support
I have just written a doc about the encrypted passwords which will be in the
helpfile for the next release of pgAdmin, and can be found at
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=19
<http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=19> .

SSH connections are slightly different to the encrypted passwords - they
encrypt the entire session over the wire, whilst the passwords are encrypted
over the wire *and* in pg_shadow. pgAdmin with SSH is outlined here:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=11
<http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=11>

For the best security,  why not use both?

Regards, Dave.