Re: table OCX control

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: 'Tim Finch' <pgadmin(at)timfinch(dot)cix(dot)co(dot)uk>,pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table OCX control
Date: 2002-03-07 11:32:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Cool.

> Thoughts:
> - Mark, I see you have fleshed out more on the code side of your
> datawidgets, I will use these methods/props etc where
> feasible. I feel that
> my design of the datatable ocx is a bit more clean and less
> fussy. As the
> designer is going to be pressured for screen space at the top for the
> tables we are going to need to keep the tables small.
> - I know the wish list for pgAdmin contains the idea of a
> project file in
> the future. This is going to be a key requirement, esp where query
> designing is concerned as the user will position tables and
> colour them
> etc. and will want this to be retrieved. Surely one of the
> best places to
> keep the project file is actually in a table in database
> itself? In the
> meantime, what will we do about storing the non SQL aspects of a view
> design for retrieval later on - simply save them to a .pvd
> (PgAdmin View
> Design) file on the local drive of the user?

We should try to keep everything in the database to allow for
multi-developer environments. One thing I learned from pgAdmin I is to keep
the SSOs (server side objects) as simple a possible and only use them where
absolutely necessary. pgAdmin I had about 8 views, 8 functions and 3 tables
which were a real pain in the arse to autoupgrade and repair. Many people
didn't like them either because they cluttered up their databases.

In pgAdmin II, the only SSO is pgadmin_rclog (the Revision Control log)
which was kept as simple as possible, yet as future proof as possible. This
is only created when RC is enabled on a database, and is dropped if it is
disabled. We need to make sure that any more SSOs we add are as friendly...

All sounds good though - look forward to some working code.

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Mark A. TaffDate: 2002-03-07 22:24:54
Previous:From: Tim FinchDate: 2002-03-07 11:20:08
Subject: Re: ViewDesigner Code