Re: [pgadmin-support] Graphical ER Editor / Graphical Query Edito

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd'" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Graphical ER Editor / Graphical Query Edito
Date: 2002-02-27 09:03:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Sounds good so far.

> 2. Query Debugger. I reckon this would only be feasible as a
> cross-development thing with the postmaster boys-and-girls.

This is one of those things that will go a long way to replicating
PostgreSQLs parser - i.e., masses of work without a huge benefit.

I would suggest a system that uses the existing parser by attempting to
execute the query, and interpreting any error messages that are returned
followed by whatever highlighting of the dodgy syntax can be achieved.

The downside of this is that if a large query is OK, then it will be
executed. It is possible to prevent this by prepending EXPLAIN, but that
will only work for SELECT queries.

Regards, Dave.