postgres at reboot

From: "Tena Sakai" <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres at reboot
Date: 2008-09-25 19:42:53
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Everybody,

About 1.5 month ago, my machine (which runs redhat linux
2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp on Dell hardware with postgres 8.3.3)
had a terrible crash.  I am mostly recovered, but there
is at least one more thing that's not right.

Namely, when the machine gets rebooted, postgres doesn't
start automatically.  Before the crash, there was no such

I see a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.  Is this the
start-up script?  If not, please tell me what would be the
correct one (and where would I find one).  If it is, can you
please tell me where I would find the latest one anyway?
(Maybe the latest one got lost and I am looking at an old

The detail of how it happens escapes me, but as near as I
can reconstruct in my head, after the reboot I discover that
postgres is not running and I issue:
  pg_ctl start
and it complains something to the effect that it is already
started (which seems to be not true) and maybe it gives me
a pid for the postmaster.  I think I tried:
  pg_ctl stop
and it told me something a bit disageeable.  But I found a
file with that pid in /tmp directory and when I remove that
file, then "pg_ctl start" succeeds.

If this sounds familiar to you (or you have some clue as to
what is going on), I would appreciate a tip.

Tena Sakai

pgsql-admin by date