tar, but not gnu tar

From: "Tena Sakai" <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tar, but not gnu tar
Date: 2007-08-22 00:28:48
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Everybody,

According to section 23.3.2 of 8.2.4 manual:

  Also, some versions of GNU tar consider it
  an error if a file is changed while tar is
  copying it. There does not seem to be any
  very convenient way to distinguish this
  error from other types of errors, other
  than manual inspection of tar's messages.
  GNU tar is therefore not the best tool for
  making base backups.

On my linux machine, gnu tar is the tar.  Does
anybody have a suggestion as to where I can go
to get a tar that is not gnu?

Thanks in advance.

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu