Re: installing Postgres 8.3 on Mac

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Andrew Maracini <amaracini(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing Postgres 8.3 on Mac
Date: 2009-08-28 18:58:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Aug 27, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Andrew Maracini wrote:

> So I installed both PostgreSQL 8.3 and PostGIS 1.4, the installs
> apparently were successful, but I don't know where they are! Where
> did they get installed? How do I find them? How do I start PgAdmin
> III? The readme says something about a usr/ directory but I can't
> find that? If I have to use a terminal, what exactly do I need to
> type?

In Terminal you can type this to see where it is installed (assuming
it is on your search path):

which postgres

If the installation is in a hidden directory that is not normally
visible (like /usr), you can do this in Terminal to see it:

open /usr

> After a few hours of getting frustrated with that I tried another
> installer, PostGres Plus http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus/download.do
> which included PostGIS, this one seemed to be a better package but
> that install failed, What gives?

You could probably get some better advice if you provide some specific
details on what failed. What error message did you get? You might
start /Applications/Utilities/Console to see if there are error
messages. You might also check the Enterprise DB site for a better
forum for asking about issues with their installer. They might not be
monitoring this list.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.