Creating a table

From: Basil Bourque <basil(dot)list(at)me(dot)com>
To: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Creating a table
Date: 2010-09-15 21:49:20
Lists: seapug
This newbie thanks you for helping me last night with my questions on creating a database.

I wrote one blog entry about my experience installing Postgres 9.0rc1 on my Mac. I plan to write another with the lessons you taught me last night.
http://crafted-software.blogspot.com/2010/09/installing-postgres.html

Now I need help creating a table. In pgAdmin, I see 4 schema in my newly created database. Do I create my tables under the schema named "public"? I can click to get a context menu with a "New Table…" menu item. I'm just not sure if that is the right place for my tables.

The other Schemas are "pg_toast", "pg_toast_temp_1", and "pg_temp_1" -- Do I ignore these?

Likewise, do I ignore the two "Catalog" items?

I've looked but can't find docs for these kinds of newbie questions in the pgAdmin help, FAQs, or the postgres docs.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
Please point me to such docs if they exist.

--Basil Bourque

seapug by date

Next:From: Albin, Lloyd PDate: 2010-09-16 22:38:07