Creating a table

From: Basil Bourque <basil(dot)list(at)me(dot)com>
To: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Creating a table
Date: 2010-09-15 21:49:20
Lists: seapug
This newbie thanks you for helping me last night with my questions on creating a database.

I wrote one blog entry about my experience installing Postgres 9.0rc1 on my Mac. I plan to write another with the lessons you taught me last night.

Now I need help creating a table. In pgAdmin, I see 4 schema in my newly created database. Do I create my tables under the schema named "public"? I can click to get a context menu with a "New Table…" menu item. I'm just not sure if that is the right place for my tables.

The other Schemas are "pg_toast", "pg_toast_temp_1", and "pg_temp_1" -- Do I ignore these?

Likewise, do I ignore the two "Catalog" items?

I've looked but can't find docs for these kinds of newbie questions in the pgAdmin help, FAQs, or the postgres docs.
Please point me to such docs if they exist.

--Basil Bourque

seapug by date

Next:From: Albin, Lloyd PDate: 2010-09-16 22:38:07