Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-31 00:16:20
Lists: pgsql-general
On Aug 27, 2004, at 5:27 AM, Joel wrote:

> I would expect to run into problems with collation. In that case, you
> may end up setting up separate databases for each language, as I
> mentioned before in the mail that I forgot to post to the list so
> people
> could correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, collation is essentially how an index is ordered,
correct? So that when I so an "ORDER BY" query, the order in which the
rows are returned is determined by the collation. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm happy with the 80% solution of defaulting to Unicode
ordering (or "Unicodabetical").

> Other than that, it depends on what functions the database will have.
>
> If what is being done with the CJKT is pretty basic stuff, I may be
> just
> another too-pessimistic voice.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with the ability of queries to work than I
am of ordering results. Ordering is strictly secondary.

Regards,

David