How to add a new field/column in a table

From: Rex Hu <hu(dot)280(at)buckeyemail(dot)osu(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to add a new field/column in a table
Date: 2011-03-17 04:01:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear all:

Here is what I am trying to do. Suppose that I have a table called
'table_1' as follows

id_no | FirstName
------------------------
1111 | John
2222 | Joe
3333 | Susan
4444 | Eli

Now a want to insert a new field to this table, called 'LastName'. I
could use the 'ALTER TABLE' statement to add it to the field. However,
that column only has 'NULL'. Then how do I populate this column with
the data that I have.

Thank you!

Hu, Zhengyu (Rex)
Department of Statistics