Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4

From: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date: 2003-10-29 02:38:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 03:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> There is something very wrong here. On my OS X machine, initdb selects
> non-default shared_buffers and max_connections (300 and 50
> respectively,
> when using 7.4beta5). Why is that failing to happen on yours? I can
> see two possibilities: either initdb is failing to notice that it needs
> smaller-than-default values, or it's somehow failing to insert those
> values into the constructed postgresql.conf file. You could determine
> which is happening by looking at the output of initdb to see what it
> reports.

I set the memory parameters back to their defaults, and now: it works.
I'm getting 300 and 50 with initdb. I don't recall what the output form
initdb was from previous attempts, but the .conf file always had 1000
and 100.

> [ thinks for a bit... ] Hmm. You *are* using the postgresql.conf file
> that initdb built, aren't you?

I have never changed anything in this file (or replaced it). I did not
even know what the shared_buffers parameter was for until I ran into
this problem.

What version of OS X are you running? I thought I replicated the
problem after upgrading to 10.2.8, but now I'm not certain I ran initdb
again (I may have just rebuilt beta 5). So possibly it could be a
difference between 10.2.6 and 10.2.8. If not, I have no clue. I'll
report back if I find anything.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.