Re: shared_buffers > 284263 on OS X

From: Guido Neitzer <lists(at)event-s(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared_buffers > 284263 on OS X
Date: 2006-11-27 07:35:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Am 27.11.2006 um 08:04 schrieb Guido Neitzer:

> But, be aware of another thing here: As far as I have read about 64
> Bit applications on G5, these apps are definitely slower than their
> 32 bit counterparts (I'm currently on the train so I can't be more
> precise here without Google ...). Was it something with not enough
> registers in the CPU? Something like that ... So it might be, that
> the 64 bit version is able to use more shared memory but is slower
> than the 32 bit version and you come out with the same performance.
> Nobody knows ...

Some information about that:

<http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/09/32-bit-vs-64-bit-performance/>

So, the impact doesn't seem to high. So it seems to depend on the
usage pattern whether the 32 bit with less RAM and slightly higher
performance might be faster than 64 bit with more shared memory and
slightly lower performance.

cug