Re: hibernate + postgresql ?

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hibernate + postgresql ?
Date: 2007-11-29 21:33:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Begin forwarded message:

> On Nov 29, 2007 8:52 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > any exprerience with Hibernate + PostgreSQL ? How does this
> combination
> > is flexible and smart ? Is't possible to tune selected queries ?
>
> In short, it sucks :).
>
> Long description: Hibernate is a mature ORM for Java. It is in use
> with
> PostgreSQL in quite a few installations and even a bunch that we are
> responsible for. It does work as well as any ORM can work.
>
> The problem is, its an ORM and ORMs are dumb in there actual ability
> work with any real relational database.
>
> If you are not lazy you can push outside the standard hibernate
> methods
> and produce very usable code but then you have to wonder why you have
> hibernate there at all.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Well ORM has its uses.

We use both Hibernate and raw SQL in the same application - SQL when
we need fast querying on a database storing user data and Hibernate
just to persist the state of the application to disk so it's saved
between restarts. It's great not to have to manage this manually.

Hibernate is slow and the generated queries can be massive yes, but in
our example the only time it gets any real use is as the app is
booting up and restoring Java objects from the db. On the plus side,
it produces a fairly easily understood schema that matches your
objects so you're able to query the state of you app objects with SQL
on the command line.

Regards

Oliver Kohll