Problem connecting to PostgreSQL 7.3 using pgAdmin II v1.4.12

From: "Lin Jianfong" <ljfong(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem connecting to PostgreSQL 7.3 using pgAdmin II v1.4.12
Date: 2003-04-03 00:37:27
Lists: pgadmin-support
Hi,

I have been having this odd problem for a while of sometimes being able to
connect to the database server and at other times, pgAdmin II simply refuses
to connect with error message "could not connect to server. Could not
connect to remote socket".

I know the primary reason for this is postgresql.conf "tcpip_socket = 1" is
not set, but I have checked that and it was set to 1. The really odd thing
is, I have no problem whatsoever to connect to the database server using php
script I wrote, which implies that the database server is indeed listening
on port 5432 and it is accepting tcp ip connection, and firewall is not
causing a problem. Just that, pgAdmin II cannot do it. At least pgAdmin II
worked for a while and for some reason, it no longer worked this morning.

The database server is installed and run on a Linux RH 8.0 machine, and
pgAdmin II is installed on a Windows 2000 machine. Both machines are on the
same network.

I'm really stumped on this. Any ideas appreciated.

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2003-04-03 08:13:00