Re: [NOVICE] Question About Aggregate Functions

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: "Don Parris" <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Question About Aggregate Functions
Date: 2006-09-13 13:27:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Ah, I did not know what was in your fields, so I did not assume they
were Boolean values. It looked to me like you were trying to use IS
TRUE to substitute for the lack of a GROUP BY, so I didn't know what to
do.

Yes, count() will include all non-NULL values. Sorry if I sounded
unclear there.

If you do typecasting the value zero is false (and non-zero is true).
NULL in an expression always returns NULL, and many programs will
interpret that result as false. So I'm not sure of what results you
might get with a Boolean test against a non-Boolean field, especially if
it's an integer field.

postgres=# select 0::boolean = FALSE;

?column?

----------

(1 row)

You should just be able to take the previous query and add in your WHERE
clauses:

SELECT count(t1.fielda), count(t2.fielda), count(t2.fieldb),
AVG(t2.fieldc)

FROM t1 JOIN t2 ON t1.item_id = t2.item_id

WHERE t1.fielda = TRUE AND t2.fielda = TRUE AND t2.fieldb = TRUE

GROUP BY NULL;

Now, the INNER JOIN you're using is only selecting fields where both
t1.item_id and t2.item_id exist and the respective fields are TRUE.
That is, it's only going to run the count and average functions against
the results of this query:

SELECT *

FROM t1 JOIN t2 ON ON t1.item_id = t2.item_id

WHERE t1.fielda = TRUE AND t2.fielda = TRUE AND t2.fieldb = TRUE;

If that's what you want, that's great.

However, you might want a count of each field where that field is TRUE.
In that case, I would use either temporary tables, compound queries and
derived tables, or multiple simple queries.

It's also possible that you might want a count of fields where
t1.item_id and t2.item_id exist, but where only each respective field is
TRUE. That is, you want a count of t1.fielda where it is TRUE no matter
what t2.fielda and t2.fieldb are as long as t1.item_id matches
t2.item_id. In that case you have to do even more joins, and that could
take a fair bit of time especially if you haven't indexed your item_id
fields.

You really have to look at your result sets. Sometimes it is better to
run multiple simple queries instead of one big complex query to be sure
you're getting the data you want and the query executes in a reasonable
amount of time.

Also, consider that NULL values are generally considered bad to
purposefully enter. Logically, It would be better to create one table
for each field and then create a record for each item_id as you need it
so you never have NULLs. The problem with that is one of performance if
you end up doing large number of JOINs. In that case, it might be
better to use integers instead of Boolean fields, since you have three
explicit states of TRUE, FALSE, and NOT YET DETERMINED.

--

Brandon Aiken

CS/IT Systems Engineer