Re: wxWidgets alert at start

From: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jwa(at)wahlstedt(dot)fi>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets alert at start
Date: 2007-08-04 20:38:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On 4.8.2007, at 13.29, Dave Page wrote:

> Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>> On 3.8.2007, at 0.15, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
<snip>
>> Here's what I can do: in building the bundle I can replace the
>> helper apps (pg_dump, pg_dumpall, pg_restore) with symbolic links
>> to the respective apps in the postgresql82 port, as those apps are
>> sure to exist due to the dependency setting. I made that
>> replacement manually, and now pgAdmin starts ok. I don't like to
>> mess with the internals of an app, but I don't like crashing
>> either:-) How does that sound? It is relatively easy to write, and
>> easy to remove, if and when a solution is found to the problem.
>
> Well that will work (and does make it sound like something is
> foobarred when we create the bundle), but what exactly are you
> trying to achieve?

I'm maintaining pgAdmin package in MacPorts, packaging system for OS
X modeled initially after FreeBSD ports collection. Hence I'd like to
be able to build the app from sources, and if there are problems in
that, I try to get them solved. The build process should co-operate
with the dependencies, built similarly. The first version in MacPorts
(at the time DarwinPorts) was 1.4, all versions so far have been
without problems.

> I assume you're not just trying to use pgAdmin, otherwise why not
> just use the bundle I provide which you said works OK?
>
> If you want to hack on pgAdmin, then pkg/mac/debug-bundle.sh will
> create a symlink pseudo-bundle which doesn't need to be rebuilt
> every time you recompile.

Thanks for the tip, I'm always happy to learn new things!

> Regards, Dave

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386