PostgreSQL encoding question

From: "Anton Kalauzky" <kalauzky(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL encoding question
Date: 2000-10-07 08:58:42
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
Dear friends,

I have two PC's with exactly the same configurations - one in my office and
the other at home. They are running RedHat Linux 6.2 and PostgreSQL included
in distribution. The first one I recently installed by upgrading from Linux
6.1 and the for the second one I went through full installation process.

I have also exactly the same db's, tables and row's in PostgreSQL. All my
data's are completely equal. Recently found that when I invoke SQL command
"SELECT * FROM nst ORDER BY name;" I have different answers on my systems. I
would like to mention that I use KOI8 (RUSSIAN) encoding. The 1-st one puts
English before Russian, it's ok because they have less ASCII codes. But the
2-nd one is little strange. It sorts Russian characters truely but puts
digits and English after Russian. Here it is some outscreen:

SELECT name,id FROM nst ORDER BY name;
-----------

 1971
 15"
Telephone
Windows

I found some SET commands but they didn't gave me any result.

So, do you have any idea about solving this problem? Thank you for your
time.

All the best.
Anton Kalauzki

http://profiles.msn.com.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jeff MacDonaldDate: 2000-10-07 15:44:40