Re: new install, can't use - need password for postgres user

From: Douglas Hyde <dhyde(at)natureserve(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new install, can't use - need password for postgres user
Date: 2011-08-12 12:13:57
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks very much for getting back to me.

OK, so I first change the pg_hba.conf file to add local hosts, restart the service, and that is good - postgresql restarted fine.

I then run psql.exe from command line, as you suggested and I get the following:

psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

So, I need a password. I tried several passwords, and none worked...did I set this password on install? If yes, then my bad and I will have to resintall, because I just don't remember what it was. Then I guess I am kind of dumb, though in my defence, I first installed this a month ago and I am just getting back to it now.

Cheers,

Doug