Altering column type from text to bytea

From: Alexander Reichstadt <lxr(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Altering column type from text to bytea
Date: 2012-03-21 19:56:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

when trying to change a text column to bytea I am getting the following error:
SQL error:

ERROR: column "comment" cannot be cast to type bytea

In statement:
ALTER TABLE "public"."persons" ALTER COLUMN "comment" TYPE bytea

I found that others had the same issue but I found no solution for it. I made a test-table and though it was empty meaning the column of concern had only NULL values I got the same error when trying to change that text column to type bytea.

Is it possible to change column types later on to bytea?

Thanks
Alex