Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-04-27 19:21:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
>> I'd like to see a more concrete definition of what we
>> want Autovacuum to output and at what levels.
>
> I would argue that what people typically want is
>
> 	(0)	nothing
>
> 	(1)	per-database log messages
>
> or
>
> 	(2)	per-table log messages (including per-database)
>
> The first problem is that (2) is only available at DEBUG2 or below,
> which is not good because that also clutters the log with a whole lot
> of implementer-level debugging info.
>
> The second problem is that we don't really want to use the global
> log_min_messages setting to determine this, because that constrains
> your decision about how much chatter you want from ordinary backends.
>
> I suggest that maybe the cleanest solution is to not use log level at
> all for this, but to invent a separate "autovacuum_verbosity" setting
> that controls how many messages autovac tries to log, using the above
> scale.  Anything it does try to log can just come out at LOG message
> setting.

This sounds like a winner to me.  Anyone else want to grab it?  I'm
in the position to try and do this, but don't want to step on anyone
else's toes.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2006-04-27 19:25:45