Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-04-27 18:40:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>> I think there are two things people typically want to know from the
>> logs: 1) Is autovacuum running 2) Did autovacuum take action (issue
>> I don't think we need mention the name of each and every database we
>> touch, we can, but it should be at a lower level like DEBUG1 or
>> something.
> OK, that part is done.
>> I don't know what logging level these thing should go at, but I for
>> one would like them to be fairly high easy to get to, perhaps NOTICE?
> Interesting idea.  I had forgotten that for server messages, LOG is at
> the top, and ERROR, NOTICE, etc are below it.  We could make them
> NOTICE, but then all user NOTICE messages appear in the logs too.
> Yuck.
> Do we want to LOG everytime autovacuum does something?  Is that going
> to fill up the logs worse than the per-database line?

My general take is I (as an admin), want to know that:
a) autovacuum is doing it's periodic checks
b) when it actually vacuums a (database|table) we know what time it did

> The real issue is that we give users zero control over what autovacuum
> logs, leading to the TODO item.  I guess the question is until the
> TODO item is done, what do we want to do?
> How do people like the idea of having this in postgresql.conf:
> 	autovacuum_set = 'set log_min_messages = ''error'''
> and set autovacuum to output notice/info/error messages as desired by
> the administrator?  This shouldn't be too hard to do, and it is very
> flexible.

We definitely need to do "something" wrt autovacuum messages,
but this doesn't say what gets logged at what level for autovacuum.

I'd like to see a more concrete definition of what we
want Autovacuum to output and at what levels.

Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Teodor SigaevDate: 2006-04-27 18:53:44