Re: Need suggestions

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Jack W <dbdevelop2000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need suggestions
Date: 2009-06-27 09:40:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:26 PM, Jack W wrote:
>> > I can not shut down
>> > just one database because all the the databases will be shut
>> down, right?
>>
>> True, but why are you shutting databases down?
>
> Maybe for maintainence purpose or schema change. For example as you
> mentioned above, if using several tablespaces located on different
> hard drives. If one hard drive is damaged, the database on that hard
> drive will not be available. How about other databases managed by
> the same database server instance? I need to shut down all the
> databases to do mainatainence, right?

For a schema change the database needs to be running, so that's not a
good reason for wanting to shut down a database.

If your concern is hard drives crashing, then you're probably better
served with a decent RAID array than by using multiple disks with each
their own tablespace. That way, if a disk crashes NO database goes
down. There will probably be a bit of slow-down once you replace the
disk and it's getting filled with the stuff that was on the previous
disk.
For a database server you will probably want to use RAID-10 (RAID-5
doesn't perform very well for databases) on a controller with a
battery-backed cache; Popular brands in the server market are 3Ware
and Areca.

Of course disks aren't the only possible malfunctions in a system, but
they are the most likely to break. Other moving parts are fans, but
most chips that need a fan have built-in fail-safes these days.

Other risks are blackouts & brownouts that could either interrupt your
servers or fry their components, but usually this can be prevented
with a decent UPS. Then there are building cleaners needing a socket
for their vacuum cleaner, fires, floods, etc. Many of these (including
the UPS) can be dealt with by companies who co-locate your servers
plus they usually provide a reliable internet connection for them as
well.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4a45e92b759151647533614!