Re: The case for preserving case.

From: emf <pgsql(at)mindlace(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgresql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The case for preserving case.
Date: 2004-04-24 22:23:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 24, 2004, at 00:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> You do realize that any such patch would be at least a thousand times
> larger than that?

I am coming from a state of ignorance past the fact that commenting out
four lines of code appeared to create the behaviour I desired. I knew
that just changing it to match the behaviour *I* wanted isn't the same
thing as making a change that could work for everyone; that's why I
asked what sort of implementation of this behaviour would be
acceptable.

> And have vast repercussions on existing client code?

I don't want to impose this on anyone else, I just want a postgresql
that doesn't mangle my case, as case carries meaning in my application.
From what I've seen online, other people migrating away from MySQL
would like this behaviour to be an option as well.

> I'm willing to debate this, but not with people who claim it's a
> four-line change. Do some research.

You are welcome to not pay attention to what I have to say; I will
probably never be deeply involved in the PostgreSQL codebase.

I am willing to do more work to make this option that is very useful to
me more widely acceptable.
--
Living on earth and in space are the same class of
problem. In one, the environment is harshly inimical to