Re: PostgreSQL unit tests

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL unit tests
Date: 2006-02-24 03:27:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[I neglected to cc the list in my reply earlier. Apologies to Gavin
for the double-post.]

On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:40 , Gavin Sherry wrote:

> I do think that unit testing of areas such as data types would be
> useful,
> particularly the date/time code and arrays as I consider that area
> of the
> code quite fragile. I wouldn't expect the unit tests to find any bugs.
> Rather, it would make it easier, I think, for people (particularly new
> comers) to hack on that part of the code with more confidence.

This is the area I specifically had in mind when thinking of unit
tests. I am looking to do more work on the date/time code in
particular, and having a unit testing framework and tests to verify
expected behavior would definitely give me a greater sense of
security that I wasn't mucking stuff up.

Your earlier proposal was probably the one I remembered. Could you
comment on your experience with any of the existing unit testing
frameworks? In particular, did any stand out in applicability to
Postgres? What's your take on possible licensing issues?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com