CPU Load question / PgBouncer config

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CPU Load question / PgBouncer config
Date: 2012-05-14 17:02:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
I am experiencing a little higher CPU load than I would like to see, and
was wondering if it has to do with the number of connections (although
many are idle).

I am running PG 9.0.4/amd64 on FreeBSD 8.1., dual boxes running
streaming replication.

Hardware is a 16 core box with 96GB RAM, using 6GB of shared buffers.

RAID 1 for OS, 12 drive RAID 10 for data, RAID 1 for logs.

I am using pgbouncer as a connection pooler, with 200 max client
connections, a default pool size of 100, and a reserve of 80.

The number of backends running are between 40 and 70.  I monitor the
number of non-idle connections.  Average is about 20, with non-frequent
spikes going to about 40.

My gut feeling is that I can probably reduce the pool size somewhat.

Would reducing the number of backends relieve some of the load on the
server (I am seeing a 5 min load of 12 more often than I would like to)?

Also, for this size setup, what would be the recommended values for the
pool sizes?  I am certain the values are way above what they should be,
but nbot certain.

I posted here instead of the pgbouncer group hoping someone has
experienced similar things.

Prresently, I have the following load,

last pid: 96231;  load averages: 12.18, 11.07, 10.97
up 112+19:23:29 11:02:05

and this is the result from checking the state of pgbouncer:

pgbouncer=# SHOW POOLS;

database  |   user    | cl_active | cl_waiting | sv_active | sv_idle |
sv_used | sv_tested | sv_login | maxwait

-----------+-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+---------+-
--------+-----------+----------+---------

ishield   | xxxxxxx  |        48 |          0 |        48 |       4 |
2 |         0 |        0 |       0

pgbouncer | pgbouncer |         1 |          0 |         0 |       0 |
0 |         0 |        0 |       0

(2 rows)

pgbouncer=# SHOW POOLS;

database  |   user    | cl_active | cl_waiting | sv_active | sv_idle |
sv_used | sv_tested | sv_login | maxwait

-----------+-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+---------+-

ishield   | xxxxxxx  |        55 |          0 |        55 |       0 |
2 |         0 |        0 |       0

pgbouncer | pgbouncer |         1 |          0 |         0 |       0 |
0 |         0 |        0 |       0

(2 rows)

Thanks in advance,

Benjamin