Unused indices

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unused indices
Date: 2011-02-23 19:12:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am trying to clean up our schema by removing any indices which are not
being used frequently or at all.

Using pgadmin, looking at the statistics for an index, I see various
pieces of information:

Index Scans, Index Tuples Read, Index Tuples Fetched, Index Blocks Read,
and Index Blocks Hit.

I have on index with the following statistics:

Index Scans 0

Index Tuples Read 0

Index Tuples Fetched 0

Index Blocks Read 834389

Index Blocks Hit 247283300

Index Size 1752 kB

Since there are no index scans, would it be safe to remove this one?