Re: Postgres service starts and then stops immediatly

From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
To: "Sofer, Yuval" <Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Zucker, Yehudit" <Yehudit_Zucker(at)bmc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres service starts and then stops immediatly
Date: 2011-08-11 14:06:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

From: Sofer, Yuval [mailto:Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:01 AM
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Zucker, Yehudit

Hi,

-We are using Postgres 8.3.7 on Windows

-We cannot start the Postgres service. The windows OS error message is:
"The PostgreSQL Server 8.3 service on Local Computer started then
stopped.
Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for
example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

-No logs in the postgres log file

-When using pg_ctl, the postgres.exe is starting OK

Please help,
Thanks,

Yuval Sofer
BMC Software
CTM&D Business Unit
DBA Team
972-52-4286-282
yuval_sofer(at)bmc(dot)com

Yuval,

Using pg_ctl, did you try to start PG as a service?
e.g.:

C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "PostgreSQL" -D
"C:/PostgreSQL/8.4/data" -w

Could it be that account used to start PG service doesn't have
privileges to "run as a service"?
Check in "Local Security Settings" under "Local Policies"/"User Rights
Assignments" - make sure that "Log on as a service" granted to the
account specified in PG service properties.

Regards,
Igor Neyman