Re: odbc

From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
To: "Marc Fromm" <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odbc
Date: 2011-03-30 13:40:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

________________________________

From: Marc Fromm [mailto:Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:52 PM
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: odbc

I am running postgres on a red hat linux server.

postgresql-python-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-test-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-libs-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-docs-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-contrib-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-pl-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-odbc-08.01.0200-3.1

postgresql-jdbc-8.1.407-1jpp.4

postgresql-server-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

postgresql-tcl-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1

User on windows computers would like to odbc to the postgres
databases.

I downloaded the windows postgres odbc drivers from the
following site and installed version "psqlodbc-08_01_0200" on the
windows computer.

http://ftp9.us.postgresql.org/pub/mirrors/postgresql/odbc/versions/msi/

When I configure a "File Data Source" connection in access, I
cannot connect to the postgresql database. I get the message, "A
connection could not be made using the file data source parameters
entered. Save non-verified file DSN?"

The parameters entered are:

Database: database_name

Server: I entered the IP address of the server

User Name: I entered postgres

Password:

SSL Mode: prefer

Port: 5432 (which is the port used by postgres)

Do I need to configure the /etc/odbc.ini file? It is currently
just a blank file.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

[I.N.]

You need to create "System Data Source" (or User) - not "File
Data Source".

Regards,

Igor Neyman