Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com>
To: wstrzalka <wstrzalka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-05 23:05:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:46 PM, wstrzalka wrote:

> On Feb 2, 8:23 pm, br(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)momjian(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:
>> wstrzalka wrote:
>>> * stat collector is really greedy by definition even when system is
>>> idle, when you have really really many relations
>>
>> I think this will be fixed in 8.4.
>>

> That would by great news for "mine" cluster.

One workaround I came up with a while back for that is to edit the
stat file name to be in a separate directory under global (like
<datadir>/global/pg_stats/pgstat.stat) and mount a ramfs there. Of
course, a custom compile isn't always an option but it removed a *ton*
of IO on that db (had thousands upon thousands of tables). Also, if
you do that you need to be sure to copy pgstat.stat to a permanent
place periodically unless you want to risk losing all of your stats.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
866.518.9273 x 260