Re: Server hangs on multiple connections

From: David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server hangs on multiple connections
Date: 2002-09-20 17:03:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Friday, Sep 20, 2002, at 11:30 US/Eastern, Tom Lane wrote:

> Another interesting line of attack would be to try compiling
> src/backend/storage/lmgr/lwlock.c at different optimization levels,
> to see if the problem goes away with less optimization.  We saw a
> problem on AIX (if memory serves) before 7.2 release that turned out
> to be due to overaggressive optimization by the compiler.  We thought
> we'd added enough "volatile" keywords to lwlock.c to discourage any
> code rearrangement, but maybe we still need more.

This seems to work:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ cd src/backend/storage/lmgr
$ rm lwlock.o
$ gcc -O0 -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-I../../../../src/include   -c -o lwlock.o lwlock.c
$ cd -
$ make check

All tests pass except 'geometry'.
I also tried the above with -O1, and it still failed on 'make check'.

So, is it safe to proceed this way?  If this turns out to be the
solution, is there anything I should be aware of with regard to
stability and performance vs. a normal install?

Thanks,
David