Re: POSIX shared memory support

From: Chris Marcellino <cmarcellino(at)apple(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POSIX shared memory support
Date: 2007-02-27 10:24:46
Lists: pgsql-patches
I believe that all we need is the ID to be constant and unique while
the postmaster or its associated backends are running. If anything
from a given generation has the database open, it will remain
constant before any new process can connect to it successfully. Would
it be feasible to lookup the ID of an important file in the DataDir?

As far as the POSIX version goes, here is an updated patch. I changed
it to use the inode/device ID instead of the filename to avoid the
renaming cases. It also no longer needs the more clunky than
necessary hash stuff.