Starting a daemon process on INSERT

From: "P(dot)V(dot) Subramanian" <pvsmian(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Starting a daemon process on INSERT
Date: 2001-08-16 18:39:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi all

I am writing an application which needs a daemon process to do some activity
as soon as certain types of records are added.

I don't want the daemon to continuously poll the DB, so I am trying to
create a trigger which would send some kind of signal to this daemon (or
even start a normal executable which terminates after finishing its job).

However I don't seem to be able to accomplish anything trigger driver driven
that would launch another external app. elog notices, SQL queries etc. work
but I want none of these!

Help appreciated.

PVS