Re: New acinclude.m4

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New acinclude.m4
Date: 2005-05-19 21:12:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On May 19, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is this:
> I've a dynamic only build. So, wx-config --libs is ok. wx-config
> --static --libs gives an error.
> According to what I understand from the wx-config --help output is:
> if I had both built and would like to get informations concerning the
> static wxWid libs, then I'd need to pass --static to wx-config. Right?

Yes.  The --static flag is only useful in the case where a user has
both a static and dynamic build of wxWidgets in the same tree.

> yup, _I HATE STATIC BUILDS TOO_ :)) But, it seems that at least for
> Florian this is important. The latest patch I sent just does two
> things:
> a) force static parameters of wxWid, just in case the wx-config --libs
> would not give the _static_ lib informations when both shared and
> static
> are installed on the system.

Yes, your patch would add support for those people with both build
types.

> b) re-introduce the pg_static_build=yes variable which is later
> interpreted just as in previous versions because the old code is still
> there.

There are no references to pg_static_build in acinclude any more.
Well, okay there's one, but it doesn't do anything because
pg_static_build isn't set anywhere (sans your patch, of course).

Your patch is fine, just know that it terms of statically linking
pgAdmin3 as a whole it does nothing.  It only helps any user with
both a dynamic and static wx select the one they want.

ahp