Creating a Read Only profile in 8.4

From: "Della-Croce, Gregory" <Greg_Della-Croce(at)wycliffe(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating a Read Only profile in 8.4
Date: 2012-06-08 12:29:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am new at the Postgres DBA - Admin stuff. So when asked to create a read only profile for our database in Postgres 8.4 I did the following:

* create role RO_User password 'xxxxxxxxxxx' NOSUPERUSER NOCREATEDB NOCREATEROLE INHERIT LOGIN;

* select 'grant select on ' || tablename || ' to \"RO_User\"; 'from pg_tables where schemaname = 'public';

The commands worked fine. But when I connected as RO_User and did a select against a simple table in the DB, I got access denied on the table.

Can anyone point to my error?

Greg Della-Croce