Error: duplicate key violates unique constraint - "pg_toast_3270368541_index

From: "Tomeh, Husam" <HTomeh(at)facorelogic(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error: duplicate key violates unique constraint - "pg_toast_3270368541_index
Date: 2007-11-15 01:32:21
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

We've started getting duplicate key violates unique constraint error on
one of the toast index starting last weekend. This error occurs when
attempting to update a huge table.

             ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint
"pg_toast_3270368541_index"

PG version is 8.0 with postgis extension. We're planning to upgrade by
end of year though.

select count(*) from pg_toast.pg_toast_3270368541;
     count
    ---------
    7663472

We've tried a couple of things:

1) Reprocess the failed extract files by resubmitting them (basically,
re-run the updates). It worked so far until today where we retried two
times and the update kept failing.
2) Reindex the toast index but that still did not help.

We also run vacuum every night to avoid transaction wraparound limit, so
I'm hoping this is error is not related to it..

Is there any workaround to fix this duplicate constraints error?  Your
assistance is greatly appreciated.

    Husam Tomeh

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

                                   FADLD Tag

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: scrappyDate: 2007-11-15 04:12:33